Being a homeowner means that you are responsible for all the ins and outs of maintaining your home. One of the major household systems that can break down, especially here in Arizona where we have a lot of older homes, is the plumbing. Instead of waiting until you have a huge issue on your hands, there are steps you can take now that will keep your plumbing in good working order. Here are some tips to consider:
- Where does the water that flows into your home come from directly?
- Does your home have a septic system or do you use city sewers?
- Do you have a gas, solar or electric water heater?
- What size is your water heater, and is it too small or too large for your dwelling?
Next you may want to learn some basic plumbing, so that if something small happens you can take care of it yourself. Hiring a plumber to come out for something that you could potentially do yourself could cost you a lot of money. You should familiarize yourself with the following procedures:
- How to unclog your sink drains.
- How to unclog or clean out your garbage disposal.
- How to fix a slow draining issue in a kitchen or bathroom.
- When to flush or drain a water heater.
- How to replace basic toilet parts like a flapper, chain, or even the flusher mechanism.
- The magic of white vinegar on fixtures to remove and prevent soap scum and damaging mineral deposits.
When you do preemptive work on your own plumbing, you can save yourself a ton of money. Not every homeowner will be able to fix everything, and that’s why there are companies like Image Home Improvement that can take care of your plumbing needs. Remember, when you are in over your head, it’s time to call a professional.